Pasta with broccoli is a traditional dish I’ve made too many times to count! Sometimes I like to swap the broccoli for broccolini. Broccolini is a little more tender than broccoli and has a slight sweetness to the taste so some people enjoy it more.
I love this dish because it is so simple, with only five ingredients, and quick to make. In just about 20 minutes, you have dinner ready, which is great for those busy nights! I used gemelli pasta for this recipe, but fusilli and orecchiette also work well with this dish.
Pasta with Broccolini
Pasta with broccolini is a simple and tasty dish using only five ingredients and ready in less than thirty minutes!
- 2 Broccolini Bunches
- 1 lb. Pasta I used gemelli
- 4 Garlic Cloves halved
- 2 Dried Hot Peppers optional
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add in two teaspoons of salt. Add the pasta and cook as per the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccolini. Fill a large bowl with cold water and add in two cups of ice. Cut off the lower stems of the broccolini and discard. Cut the broccolini into you preferred size and place in the ice water bowl. Submerge the broccolini and let sit in the bowl for a few minutes before draining.
- Three to four minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the drained broccolini into the pasta pot and let cook. Once the pasta and broccolini are ready, drain the water, leaving two cups of the water still in the pot with the pasta so that it is not too dry.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic, hot pepper and olive oil to a frying pan and sauté over medium /low heat for about 5 minutes or until the garlic is golden brown.
- Pour the sautéed garlic, hot pepper and olive oil into the pasta and broccolini pot and mix together before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!