Hello everybody! Today’s recipe is for Mozzarella in Carrozza. My mother used to make me this snack almost everyday after school when I was growing up. This dish is easy and delicious and an Italian take on the American grilled cheese sandwich. Video tutorial found below.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 8 slices of ciabatta bread
- 1/2 cup of milk
- flour (enough to cover the bottom of a dish)
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle a little oil on top of each slice of bread and then place on an oven safe dish and bake/toast for 5 minutes. Crack your eggs into a bowl and scramble using a fork. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste and mix. Place the milk in a bowl. Add the butter to a frying pan and melt over medium/high heat. Dunk each slice of bread in the milk. Place each slice of bread on the baking dish and add a few slices of the fresh mozzarella onto 6 slices of bread. Cover with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Pat each side of the sandwich onto the flour. Then lightly dip each side of the sandwich into the scrambled raw eggs. Pat each side onto the flour once more. Add the sandwiches to the frying pan and fry for 5 minutes and then turn and fry the other side for another 5 minutes. Place each sandwich back on the baking dish and place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Slice each sandwich in half to serve as appetizers or keep them whole for a snack. Enjoy while hot!
- You can add other ingredients to the sandwich. My favorite is adding a slice of ham with the mozzarella. Also, tomatoes and basil taste great on the sandwich. Have fun with it!
- Instead of toasting the bread in the oven before you begin, lightly toast the bread in a toaster or toaster oven as an alternative.